Burlap, Tulle, and Flowers {Oh, and my Shelf Makeover}

Shelf Decorated After

 

Emily has been wanting a book shelf in her room for quite some time.  She has a shelf, but it’s a corner shelf and the books ALWAYS fall over.  If they aren’t falling over, the smaller ones get squeezed behind the bigger ones, the pages get all crinkly, etc, etc. 

 

Low and behold, I found this lovely at an antique store!Shelf Before Shelf After

Didn’t it clean up beautifully??  I haven’t actually completed a project like this before… so I was pretty darn excited that Baby Girl liked it.

I sanded, puttied, and sanded some more.  Then I primed it with KILZ as it had a bit of a musty old wood smell.

Shelf MidwayI added some trim that I found at Home Depot at the top and also two wooden rosettes at the bottom corners.  A fresh coat of white paint, a little sanding on the edges for a distressed look, and then FUN time!

Shelf Top Left Shelf Bottom Corner

I knotted a strip of purple tulle for the sides of the shelf.  Em’s room is FULL of tulle and flowers.  So, naturally, she wanted flowers on her shelf… purple and white to be precise.  The flowers looked a little lonely, so I hot glued a strip of burlap haphazardly behind them. 

Tulle + Burlap = True Love (just my opinion, anyway).

Shelf Tulle Close Up

I moved the shelf into her room today…

Shelf in Room BW

Linking up HERE!!

13 comments:

Very cute! It turned out beautifully indeed.

That's very cute! It turned out wonderful.

So pretty! I love the detail...

How do you stay so motivated to do things like this!? I sometimes think about it but I can't ever make it happen!!! Way to go girly!!

Nice Job! It looks great.

Love it, looks amazing!

Wow, great job, looks great in there! Thanks for linking up and voting..you're amazing!

Love the molding touches you added!

The trim pieces look great and the tulle is a really creative way to add some interest!

This is sooo adorable! Love the tulle accents.. makes it soo girly and whimsical! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/02/pink-hippo-party-17.html

I love this, what a great idea adding those accents! Thanks for linking this up to Fantastic Friday. Be sure to stop by tomorrow because I am featuring your lovely bookcase!

I love this too! I think I might have to copy this bookshelf for Rachel's new "big girl" room. And if I have another girl I'm doing a ballet themed nursery and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tulle decoration at the top of the walls. Thanks for the ideas!!

Post a Comment

I really appreciate and enjoy EVERY comment I receive!! Please leave me a way to get back in touch with you so I can return the favor. :)